If you need assistance, please call 604-593-5055

Could You Manage a 10% Increase in Mortgage Payments?

Thursday, May 25, 2017   /   by Sonny Bhinder

Could You Manage a 10% Increase in Mortgage Payments?

10% Mtg Increase.jpg

According to a survey released by Manulife, more than 70% of Canadian homeowners are too stretched to cope with a payment hike.

In the Manulife Bank of Canada Debt Survey, more than 2,000 Canadian homeowners were polled, 24% of the respondents said that they have " caught short" in paying bills at some point in the past year. 51% said they have $5,000 or less saved for a rainy day, while 1 in 5 respondents have no emergency savings saved at all. 

Manulife reports that the problem was more severe among the Millennials, for whom the debt os rising more quickly than Gen-X or Baby-boomers. Millennials also emerged as the least to be prepared financially in the event of an emergency or unemployment.

Bank of Mom and Dad 

45% of Millennial homeowners said that they had received financial help from a family member when buying their first home. Compared tp 37% of Gen-X and 31% od Baby-Boomers, which isn't surprising when taking into consideration the price increases seen between the generations.

Baby-boomers do seem to be in a position to help their Millennial offspring, but 61% reported that they no longer have any mortgage debt, and the average debt amount among the remaining 39% is $180,000. 

Many of those Baby-boomers are relying on the equity in their homes for their personal wealth through retirement. 40% of Baby-boomers said that the home equity accounted for more than 60% of their household wealth, for 1 of 5 of them it makes up more than 80%. Although, 77% of the responding Baby-boomers want to remain in their current homes when they retire. 

"Many Baby-boomers approaching retirement share the same lack of financial flexibility as Millennials," said Lunny. "They want to remain in their current homes, but their home makes up a big part of their net worth. Instead of downsizing, or even selling and renting, homeowners in this situation could consider using a flexible mortgage to access their home equity to supplement their retirement income."
Sonny Bhinder Home Selling Team
Century 21 Coastal Realty Ltd.
7928 128 Street
Surrey, BC V3W 4E9
604-593-5055

Information is provided exclusively for consumers’ personal use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Data is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS®.
MIMLS

The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the mls reciprocity program of the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver. Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the mls reciprocity logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver.

This site powered by CINC: www.cincpro.com